Friday, 14 June 2013
Eyebrow shape is pretty important when it comes to your makeup routine. They frame your face, brighten your eyes and can even make your face appear thinner. I have fairly thick, bushy ones myself, that used to take an age to tame. In fact, I until a few years ago, I didn't do anything with them!
Filling in your brows, if you’ve never done it before, can be a fairly daunting task and with the summer having crept up on us all keeping them in top top condition is pretty high on my list. Here are some simple tips you can follow to fill you with the confidence you need for perfect brows.
1. When prepping your eyebrows, it’s always best to start with either a clean mascara wand or a brow comb and brush them upwards to identify any stray hairs. If you have neither to hand, you can always use a fine tooth comb.
2. Use a pair of cuticle scissors to trim those hairs so they follow your natural brow shape. If you want Cara Delevingne wonder-brows but only have thin and slender brows ala Kristen Stewart, bear this in mind when trimming and give them a chance!
3. Take your tweezers and pluck only the stray hairs above and below the brow line. At this stage great care needs to be taken not to over pluck. The last thing you want is to have overly thin and over plucked brows only to have to wait for them to grow back to start again. I recommend using a good quality pair of tweezers such as Tweezermans, £12.50.
4. At this point it’s handy to do some measuring. You don’t have to be precise, but a rule of thumb is to start your brow from the inner corner of your eye and to end at an angle from the outer corner. To help you can use the handle of a makeup brush.
5. Use a powder that either matches the colour of your eyebrows or is slightly darker, this will guarantee a natural look. Using an angled brow brush, start filling in any sparse patches with small precise strokes. Then continue to define the eyebrow line, extending all the way down to the end. I like to use Urban Decay's Brow Box in Brown Sugar, £17 two earthy browns for day and night.
6. Brush your brows once more with your mascara wand or brow comb and apply a clear eyebrow gel or eyebrow wax to set them in place.